Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Arthur K. Trask, lawyer, politician | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper



With Maunakea Trask being in the news so much, I wanted to write a bit of my thoughts and remembrances of Aurthur K Trask Senior. I knew him as "Uncle Aurthur". He was brilliant, opinionated. Some thought he was loud, boisterous or talkative. He was just knowledgeable and had no patience for stupidity.


"Uncle" Aurthur took a lot of time explaining things to me. He saw that I was eager to learn how to discuss matters and testify better at public hearings. I was very inexperienced but very much wanted to look better and sound smarter, even though I did not have much of an education. Uncle Art would sit in the Lihue library, show me what books to read. He would "debate" the issues with me, and he would teach me how to argue a point.


He was an extremely passionate supporter of Native Hawaiian rights. I mean that. He would get up and argue loudly at meetings. He was extremely emphatic about it. He was the Uncle of Mililani Trask, and Haunani Trask. These two are also famous Native Hawaiian attorney and college professors. They staunchly support and defend Native Hawaiian rights.


Coming from a long lineage of Native Hawaiian attorneys. Maunakea Trask seems to be taking a far different tack on the sail of his canoe then Haunani and Mililani, and even Uncle Arthur.


I wish him the best, and I encourage him to truly search his heart, and really decide what his ohana would think of the decisions he will be making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED. All comments on this blog must be approved before being published. If you use profanity, hate-based or blatently offensive racist statements, or in general are just a stupid troll your comments will not be posted here. So if you want to have your posting actually show up on this blog, I suggest you stick to the rules. No off topic posting allowed either. Stick to the subject matter.
MY blog, MY rules
"The battlegrounds of idiots are the playgrounds of geniuses"-Anne Punohu